Ahmed Al-Hameli of the Victory Team clocked the fastest lap of 43.93sec to claim the first extra free practice session win from four-time World Champion and team-mate Alex Carella.
The teams got their first taste of the five-pin race course that will host this weekend’s Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi in a 90-minute free practice session on Thursday afternoon.
Team Abu Dhabi’s trio of Shaun Torrente, Erik Stark and Thani Al-Qemzi have tested effectively in recent days and decided to sit out an opening session.
Only a handful of drivers took to the water in the opening 30 minutes of the session and Peter Morin of the CTIC F1 Shenzhen China Team carded the target lap of 44.27sec.
He went on to finish the stint in fifth place behind third-placed Marit Strømøy of the Emirates Racing Team and Team Amaravati’s Jonas Andersson. Finland’s Filip Roms complained of a water leak from his BaBa’s engine.
2018 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi – extra free practice times (Thursday):
1. Ahmed Al-Hameli (UAE) Victory Team 43.63sec
2. Alex Carella (ITA) Victory Team 43.68sec
3. Marit Strømøy (NOR) Emirates Racing Team 44.00sec
4. Jonas Andersson (SWE) Team Amaravati 44.03sec
5. Peter Morin (FRA) CTIC F1 Shenzhen China Team 44.19sec
6. Sami Selio (FIN) Mad-Croc Baba Racing Team 45.25sec
7. Bartek Marszalak (POL) Emirates Racing Team 45.30sec
8. Erik Edin (SWE) Team Amaravati 45.44sec
9. Francesco Cantando (ITA) Blaze F1 Team 45.48sec
10. Duarte Benavente (PRT) F1 Atlantic Team 46.05sec
11. Philippe Chiappe (FRA) CTIC F1 Shenzhen China Tea 46.67sec
12. Cédric Deguisne (FRA) Maverick F1 Team 47.54sec
13. Simone Schuft (DEU) Blaze F1 Team 52.26sec
14. Filip Roms (FIN) Mad-Croc Baba Racing Team 56.28sec
Grant Trask (AUS) F1 Atlantic Team FP
Erik Stark (SWE) Team Abu Dhabi DNS
Shaun Torrente (USA) Team Abu Dhabi DNS
Thani Al-Qemzi (UAE) Team Abu Dhabi DNS
Sutthipan Sookbuangbon (THI) Maverick F1 Team DNS