Team Abu Dhabi 6 was dramatically demoted to third position in the final results of the 24 heures motonautiques de Rouen endurance race by race officials on Monday evening, despite finishing the race ahead of the Touax Pegase Racing Team.
Both race boats had completed the shortened 17-hour race on the River Seine in Northern France, 20 laps behind the race-winning Team Nollet by New Star 20.
But race officials deemed that Thani and Rashed Al-Qemzi, Rashed Al-Tayer and American Shaun Torrente were behind their French rivals on their 537th and final lap and third place was the result.
The team working out of the Abu Dhabi International Marine Sports Club (ADIMSC) appealed the decision in vain and will now try to win the UIM World Endurance Championship at the next round at Augustow in Poland in two months time.
24 Hours of Rouen final result:
1. Team Nollet by New Star 20 557 laps
2. Touax Pegase Racing Team 8 537 laps
3. Team Abu Dhabi 6 537 laps
4. Team Marine Inshore – Loutz 28 524 laps
5. Team Nollet by New Star 1 477 laps
6. Tullio Abbate – Principato di Seborga 5 444 laps
7. Sun Racing Team 4 415 laps
8. Navikart Racing 32 390 laps, etc
Photo: Chris Davies