Frenchman Tom Chiappe lined up on pole position for the second of the F4-S races but the weather had turned for the worse and a violent thunderstorm affected the area.
Max Stilz almost blew over on the outgoing lap and there was more drama for the Victory Teams Ahmed Al-Fahim. Chiappe went on to take the chequered flag and a maximum points haul, with Pedro Fortuna reaching the chequered flag in second place and Quentin Dailly rounding off the podium places. Team Abu Dhabi’s Mohammed Al-Mehairbi finished fourth.
Dailly made the first move in the qualifying session with a lap of 55.17sec, only for Chiappe to move to the top of the rankings with a 54.72. Dailly redressed the balance with a 54.50, while Al-Mehairbi climbed to fourth behind Fortuna and then moved up to third with a lap of 55.08sec as thunder rattled through the skies overhead and dark clouds gathered. A lap of 54.73sec enabled Fortuna to regain third with less than five minutes remaining and Chiappe managed to snatch pole with a late tour of 54.32sec to set up an intriguing race showdown. British F4 racer Sam Whittle changed the set-up of his boat and qualified in eighth as a result.
Free practice and the remainder of the weekend’s F4 timetable were brought forward to precede the last of the official F1 practice sessions because of low tide conditions. Chiappe was the quickest in the warm-up with a lap of 54.17sec. Al-Mehairbi ran for eight laps and carded the second quickest circuit of 54.67sec. All 10 boats took to the water for the first time over race weekend but the session ended with a yellow flag after Ian Gonsalves inverted his Maverick F1 Racing-run Moore.
2018 F4 Trophy – positions after race 2:
1. Pedro Fortuna (PRT) Team Sweden 35pts
2. Tom Chiappe (FRA) Emirates Racing Team 32pts
3. Mohammed Al-Mehairbi (UAE) Team Abu Dhabi 24pts
4. Quentin Dailly (FRA) Maverick Racing 17pts
5. Max Stilz (DEU) Blaze Performance 14pts
6. Wu Bingchen (CHN) CTIC F1 China Team 14pts
7. Ahmed Al-Fahim (UAE) Victory Team 7pts
8. Sam Whittle (GBR) F1 Atlantic Team 4pts
9. Ian Gonsalves (GUY) Maverick Racing 3pts
10. Rudolf Mihaldinecz (HUN) Mad-Croc Baba Racing Team 2pts