Team Abu Dhabi’s Rashed Al-Qamzi snatched a five-point outright lead in the UIM F-4S Trophy by winning the opening race in boat 56 at the Grand Prix of Portugal, on the Arade River in Portimão, on Saturday.
The Emirati led for all but one of the 20 laps to claim his second series win by 19.39 seconds from Dutch rival Ferdinand Zandbergen. Al-Qamzi trailed Kalle Viippo on the opening tour of the course, but an early yellow flag slowed the field and the Team Abu Dhabi driver snatched the lead and went on to win.
Team-mate Mohammed Al-Mehairbi had flipped Team Abu Dhabi 65 on Friday afternoon and went on to finish eighth after team technicians had repaired his boat in time for the race.
The F-4S racing reaches its conclusion on Sunday with practice, time trials and the second race.
2016 UIM F-4S Trophy – positions after race 3:
1. Rashed Al-Qamzi (UAE) Team Abu Dhabi – 52 pts
1. Ferdinand Zandbergen (NLD) Baba Racing – 47 pts
3. Kalle Viippo (FIN) Team Sweden – 42 pts
4. Bingchen Wu (CHN) CTIC F1 China Team – 27 pts
5. Mohamed Al-Yamahi (UAE) Victory Team – 21 pts
6. Ali Bin Shaiban (UAE) Emirates Racing Team – 12 pts
6. Tom Chiappe (FRA) EMIC Racing Team – 12 pts
8. Mohammed Al-Mehairbi (UAE) Team Abu Dhabi – 8 pts
9. Paolo Longhi (ITA) Blaze Performance Team – 6 pts
Neil Perkins established NDP Publicity Services in January 1990.
The company has operated across 83 countries in sports management, freelance journalism, public relations, television production, new product launch and photographic fields.